56. It all started when I opened a glitter bomb during my 9am lecture. An hour later, I found my dead boy/girlfriend’s body in the middle of the quad.
57. Your best friend passes away and is assigned as your guardian angel. One problem: they’re terrible at their job.
58. “If I start leaking blood from my eyeballs, I am going to come back and haunt you so hard.”
59. To say the wedding didn’t go as planned was the understatement of the century.”
51. He stared at the bodies on the ground, at the girl covered in blood. Her eyes narrowed as she stood up. “Your late,” she said.
52. Be a veterinarian for the dragons, he said. That’ll be fun, he said.
53. Use the lyrics of a song as the basis of a short story.
54. “You know we’re not all born with the ability to throw fireballs, right?”
46. Who would you rather have as a friend: one of Santa’s elves or a snowman that magically came to life? Explain your choice.
47. Use this sentence somewhere in your story: “Velma figured if her plan went to hell, she could probably hop over to the next dimension and be all right”
48. Today, there are more and more reality shows on television. Do these shows make good television? Why or why not? Explain your answer using specific reasons and examples.
49. Use the following dialogue: “What’s our exit strategy?” “Our what?” “Oh my god, we’re all going to die!”
41. A doctor puts his hand on his patient’s arm and says, “You or the baby will survive. Not both. I’m sorry.”
42. He turned the key in the lock and opened the door. To his horror, he saw…
43. We’ve seen cute and cuddly dragons, mean and vicious dragons, and noble dragons. Write a story about a different kind of dragon.
44. Create a short story that is 26 sentences long, each sentence beginning with the next letter of the alphabet.
36. Have you ever traveled to a place that you found very meaningful and rewarding? Write an essay that persuades others to visit this important place.
37. Some companies offer a paternity leave that allows fathers to stay home with their newborns for several weeks while still earning partial pay and benefits. Do you think this is a good policy? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
38. What rites of passage have you participated in?
39. What if only high school students could vote in presidential elections? How would that change political campaigns and life after the election?
31. There is a magic talisman that allows its keeper to read minds. It falls into the hands of a young politician…
32. Turn ordinary animals into monsters that prey on humans: dog-sized rats, killer rabbits, or a pack of rabid mountain lions. Give the animals intelligence and set them loose.
33. You get a set of minions for a week (yes, from Despicable Me!): what will you do with them?
34. Write a story in which a broken coffee maker has a huge impact on the world.
26. You receive an invitation in the mail one day requesting your presence at a “Cadaver concert.” You have no idea what this means or who sent the invitation. However, as a mortician, you are intrigued. You show up at the appointed place at the designated time. What do you find?
27. You’re playing a video game called Wizards & Warriors when, suddenly, lighten strikes the house, scaring you and causing you to black out. When you wake up, you’re trapped inside the game. The only items you have is a sword, a backpack and a note attached to your shirt that reads, “Beat me and I’ll send you home.”
28. To avert a horrific interstellar war, the Time Lords ask the Doctor to travel back in time to stop a crucial moment in the life of an infamous figure: a young Jedi Knight named Anakin Skywalker.
29. It’s the last day of school and you’re clearing out your locker when your best friend runs up to you out of breath. “You have to come with me right now,” your friend says. “It’s a matter of life and death.” So you rush with your friend to the cafeteria, only to find several of your classmates have been turned into zombies. What they don’t know is that, you are secretly a superhero who kills zombies. Write this scene
21. Your boss is slowly beginning to exhibits symptoms of being a Disney villain.
22. Authors can now be sued by their own characters for things that happened to them in their stories. According to you, what character would sue? Why?
23. You are flipping through the channels on TV one Saturday, waiting for your pizza to be delivered. On the coffee table sits an open can of soda. You don’t remember getting the soda, but you live alone and haven’t had anyone over recently, so it must be yours. You take a sip as the doorbell rings. You open the door and as instead of saying “Hello,” a croak come out of your mouth instead. Finish the scene.
24. One day as you were cleaning you noticed air being sucked towards the base of wall near the cupboard. Perplexed you went closer to investigate. The air was going in, slightly yet in. You hold your breath and gingerly peel away at the wallpaper until a huge wrought iron door stands before you. Where does it lead? Did you imagine this? What happens next?
16. You and your significant other have decided to vacation by the beach for a weekend. It’s your first day and you hurry to the ocean, ready to relax. Once you get to the beach, you find that the ocean is full of crabs. There seem to be more crabs than actual water! You marvel at this phenomenon and turn, only to find that your significant other is running towards the water and beginning to morph into a crab! How do you respond?
17. You wake up one morning and find that you aren’t in your bed; you aren’t even in your room. You’re in the middle of a giant maze. A sign is hanging from the ivy: “You have one hour. Don’t touch the walls.” Finish the scene.
18. You are exploring with a friend when you stumble upon an abandoned amusement park. You eagerly start to approach it, but as you get closer, the lights suddenly come on and the rides start to move. Do you keep going to find out what’s happening or do you run away as fast as you can?
19. The year is 1491 and you are a famous world explorer. You set out to sail around the globe, but your crew is apprehensive about sailing around the Bermuda triangle. You dismiss their superstitions and demand to hold course. Sure enough, as you approach the Triangle you get caught in a horrible storm. What happens next?